COOKIE NOTICE: Irwell Valley uses cookies to store information on your computer, in order to improve your experience when using our website. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site (using your browser), but parts of the site may not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, Read More.

Help and support

Need help with rents?

What will happen if I don't pay my rent?

If you have problems with paying your rent, contact our Income Management team on 0800 035 22 11, as soon as possible. We will offer you confidential help, advice and support if you are experiencing financial difficulties. 


We will notify you by letter when arrears are owing on your rent account and if you fail to respond, we will visit your property. 

If you do not contact our Income Management team to make arrangements to repay your arrears, we will serve you with a Notice of Seeking Possession. This notice is the first step in legal proceedings to take possession of your home. 

If you continue to ignore our attempts to contact you, and/or fail to repay your arrears, we will make an application to the County Court for possession of the property. At a hearing, the Court Judge can make an order for possession which could result in you losing your home. 

If you do not maintain payments to repay your arrears in line with a court order, we will have no alternative but to request a Bailiff's appointment for your eviction from the property.

How we can help you. 

Our Income Management team can help by offering you advice on benefit entitlement and claiming housing benefit.  We are able to complete a benefit calculation to estimate your likely Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit and Tax Credit awards. 

We can make agreements with you to reduce your outstanding arrears by paying extra until your arrears are cleared in full.

We can visit you in your property to discuss any problems, help you to complete any relevant paperwork and ensure that supporting documentation is provided if making a claim for Housing Benefit.  Please click here to contact your Enforcement Officer. 

Income Management and Lettings team members can verify your Housing Benefit documents for the following local authorities; Salford, Manchester, Tameside, Trafford and Bolton. 

We can also refer you to an external agency for specialist debt/money advice such as Citizens Advice Bureau and Welfare Rights.  Please click here for a list of agencies who may be able to help you. 

Will I still qualify for Diamond Service if I am in arrears? 

No.  If you miss a rent payment and your account goes into arrears of more than £5.00, you will lose your Diamond Service status. To requalify you will need to accrue 26 weeks of continuous rent payments (plus any repayments) again. 

What if Housing Benefit stop paying my rent? 

Although you may not pay rent directly to Irwell Valley, if you claim Housing Benefit and have it paid direct to us, you are still responsible for ensuring your rent is paid. If your local authority has not made payments to us, you should contact them to sort out any issues with your claim. For details of how to contact your Housing Benefit team click here

If you fail to pursue your claim, we will consider taking legal action against you for possession of your home and you will lose your Diamond Service status. 

What do I do if I have a query about my rent account? 

If you have any queries regarding your rent account statement, please contact our Income Management team on 0800 035 22 11 to discuss your query. 

Please complete the form below to request a current rent statement. 

Request a rent statement or Direct Debit form

Please enter your details below