As your landlord we have to make sure that all gas appliances, fittings and flues that we own and you use are safe. It is a legal requirement for Irwell Valley under regulation 36 of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, to carry out a gas service every 12 months and to ensure the safe operation of all gas appliances owned and installed by us in your home. Regulation 36 places important duties on landlords of domestic properties to ensure that gas appliances and flues are maintained in a safe condition.
*You can confirm our Gas Safe engineer’s qualifications online by visiting www.gassaferegister.co.uk and entering the engineer’s unique registration number from their I.D badge. Select "check a gas engineer" and enter the number shown in the image below, which we have highlighted in red.
Gas and carbon monoxide leaks are extremely dangerous - and we want to make sure that you are safe. You must let our contractors in to your home to carry out the safety checks or repairs to any gas appliances that we provide. We will let you know when we're calling to carry out the test. Not giving us access is considered a breach of your tenancy agreement and may result in legal action to get access or, in extreme cases, possession of your home. Any legal costs incurred to obtain access will also be considered your responsibility.
Monthly Prize Draw
You will be entered into a £100 monthly prize draw when your home is due for its Gas Servicing and you allow us first time access. The draw will be made at the end of each month – it could be you who collects that £100!
If you can smell gas:
What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous substance produced by the incomplete burning of gas and Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG).
This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked. Oil and solid fuels such as coal, wood, petrol and oil can also produce carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide is invisible, odorless and tasteless but it can kill quickly and with no warning. Unsafe gas appliances produce this highly poisonous gas. It can cause death as well as serious long term health problems such as brain damage.
What is carbon monoxide poisoning?
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when you breathe in even small amounts of the gas. When you breathe in carbon monoxide, it gets into your blood stream and prevents your red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Without oxygen, your body tissue and cells die.
Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health when breathed in over a long period of time. Long term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning include paralysis and brain damage. Such long term effects occur because many people are unaware of unsafe gas appliances and subsequent gas leaks.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to many illnesses, including food poisoning, flu and simply being tired. Because of this, many people ignore the signs.
There are six main symptoms to look out for:
If you experience symptoms and suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:
Don’t assume your gas appliances are safe: get a Gas Safe registered gas engineer to do a check. This is the only safe way to prevent yourself and those around you from incurring serious illness or death due to carbon monoxide exposure.
How do I avoid a carbon monoxide leak in my home?
Your home may show signs of carbon monoxide. Any one of the following could be a sign that there is carbon monoxide in your home. Get your gas appliances checked to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
If you have a faulty appliance in your home, it could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Get it checked as soon as possible by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
Why should I get a carbon monoxide alarm?
Because carbon monoxide has no taste, smell or colour. Gas Safe Register strongly recommends you fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm in your home.
While an alarm will alert you to carbon monoxide in your home, it is no substitute for using a Gas Safe registered engineer.
A carbon monoxide alarm looks similar to a smoke alarm and is very easy to fit by following the manufacturer’s instructions. You can purchase a carbon monoxide alarm for under £20 at your local DIY store, supermarket or from your energy supplier.
Before purchasing a carbon monoxide alarm, always make sure it is officially approved to EN 50291. It must have a British or European approval mark on it, such as a Kitemark.
You are particularly at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning while sleeping, as you may not be aware of early carbon monoxide symptoms until it’s too late. Do not use the ‘black spot’ detectors that change colour when carbon monoxide is present. These will not make a sound to wake you up if the poisonous gas is present while you are sleeping.
What preventative measures can you take against carbon monoxide exposure?